Half Day Baku Old City Tour
If you want to explore the Old city (or Icherisheher) of Baku, then, we invite you to join our Half Day Baku Old City tour. Our tour will start from the entrance of Icherishekher Metro Station and will end at the same spot.
Undoubtedly, Old City is the most important historical site in Baku. Located in the heart of the capital Baku, the complex reflects strong evidences of Zoroastrian, Sassanian, Arabic, Persian, Shirvani, Ottoman, and Russian cultures along with the dominant Azerbaijan elements. The complex has preserved much of its 12th-century defensive walls, which define the character of the property. The fortifying walls surrounding the city complex was destroyed several times during the foreign invasions.
Highlights of the excursion:
- Double gates of Old City- Shamakhy gates patents the entrance to the fortress. The Donjon castle of 12th century is also located nearby the gates. During the past, guards of the fortress observed the surroundings of the city from this castle. And in case of danger, people could refuge in it.
- Maiden Tower- It is a 12th century monument in the Old City, Baku, Azerbaijan. The site is the symbol of Baku and it is in the list of World Cultural Heritage of UNESCO since 2000. The structure was erected at the coast of the Caspian Sea preserved its magnificence till our days.
- Shirvanshahs’ Palace- Another monument of universal value, one of the pearls of Azerbaijan’s architecture is the 12th- to 15th century Shirvanshahs’ Palace, located at the highest point of Icherisheher.
- Caravanserais- The inseparable part of the old town is the caravanserai. Among many of them only four have been preserved. They are Bukhara Caravanserai, Khan Caravanserai, Multanu Caravanserai and Caravanserai of Gasim bey.
- Muhammad Mosque- Muhammad mosque is the oldest mosque in Old City of Baku. Another name of the mosque is Sinig Gala due to its damaged tower. The mosque acquired its second name in 1723, when the shell of Russian warship attacking Baku, hit in the minaret of Muhammad Mosque and damaged it.
- Miniature Books Museum- the only museum in the world dedicated to miniature editions of books in numerous languages. The smallest tome (6mm x 9mm) is the Russian book “The Most Miraculous Thing. It is impossible to read this book without a magnifying glass.