Classic Azerbaijan tour (08 Days)
Planning to visit Azerbaijan? We invite you to our 08 days “Classic Azerbaijan” tour . In this tour, you will find everything you need- breathtaking nature and landscape of Great Caucasian Mountains, rich and diverse culture, ancient monuments, modern cities, hospitable people and delicious dishes.
Day 1: Arrival in Baku
- Arrival at Baku International Airport;
- Your tour in Azerbaijan kicks off here
- Transfer to Hotel;
- Free time
Day 2: Baku Sightseeing tour
- Breakfast at hotel;
- Martyrs Lane, Baku- is a cemetery and memorial in Baku, dedicated to those killed by the Soviet Army during Black January and later to those killed in Nagorno-Karabakh War. The memorial is located in Highland Park, one of the highest picks of Baku city.
- Highland park of Baku- The highest pick in Baku with an amazing panorama to the city. The park is located in the center of Baku. It is one of the most popular places of the local residents and tourists. The most unique side of the park and the reason why it is actually, called the “Highland Park” is obviously, its impressive panorama looking over Baku city.
Tour in Old City of Baku- the most ancient part of the city dates back to Palaeolithic period. Along with the dominant Azerbaijani element, the city reveals the evidences of Zoroastrian, Sassanian, Arabic, Persian, Shirvani, Ottoman, and Russian presence.Sightseeing of city walls and more than 20 historical buildings including Maiden Tower and Shirvankhakhs’ palace which were inscribed to UNESCO World Heritage List;
- Miniature books museum- he only museum in the world dedicated to miniature editions of books in numerous languages. Books here are written in several languages including Azeri, Russian, English, and German. The oldest book in the museum is a miniature copy of the Quran. It dates back to the 17th century. The smallest tome (6mm x 9mm) is the Russian book “The Most Miraculous Thing. It can only be read by using a magnifying glass.
- Walking tour across Nizami street- one of the most famous shopping streets in Baku, a hip and bustling pedestrianised avenue with a rich variety of shops, including small outlets, souvenir stores and supermarkets. The buildings here feature a number of different architectural styles, including Baroque, Renaissance and Neo- Gothic. The area is brilliantly illuminated by lights and decorations.
- Fountain Square of Baku-a public gathering place, especially after business hours and during the weekend.
- Sightseeing of Azerbaijan Carpet Museum- Azerbaijan Carpet Museum displays Azerbaijani carpets and rug items of various weaving techniques and materials from various periods. It has the largest collection of Azerbaijani carpets in the world.
- Walking Excursion in Baku Boulevard; tour in Little Venice and Ferry’s wheel (depending on the weather)
- Transfer back to hotel and rest
Day 3: Absheron Peninsula and Gobustan & Mud Volcanoes tour
- Breakfast in hotel
- Gala Ethnographical Museum- a famous open-air historical and ethnographic museum. The museum was founded at an archaeological site. In the museum, the visitors can learn about the lifestyle of Medieval period Azerbaijan people
- Burning Mountain – one of the “must see” natural wonders is definitely Yanar Dag (burning mountain). It is located about 25 km from the capital Baku. A 10 m long wall of fire surprisingly, never extinguishes and is burning continuously alongside the edge of the hill. The scene is naturally is at its most spectacular at night. Tourists and locals alike can view the fire from a nearby tea house during the nights. The height of the flames changes, but in some moments it reach to 3 metres (9.8 ft) from the ground.
Ateshgah temple – In Absheron, there were many temples of Fire. From their variety, the most famous is the well-preserved temple Ateshgah (“the Fire Place”). The temple is about 30 km. east far of the town center.
- Visit to Gobustan- a place on the south-east of the Great Caucasian Mountains about 60 km far south of Baku. The meaning of Gobustan in local language means “ravine land”. Here one can find amazing evidences of the past, especially, rock paintings, caves and other amazing stone age tools of early humans.
- Next, we will visit Mud Volcanoes-very unique natural attraction in Azerbaijan. Almost half of the mud volcanoes in our planet are in the territory of Azerbaijan
- Bibiheybat Mosque- one of the two largest and oldest mosques of Caucasus. For this reason, today, it is the spiritual center for the Muslims of the region and one of the major monuments of Islamic architecture in
- Returning back to hotel for rest
Day 4: Baku- Shamakhi- Lahij- Basgal- Gabala
- Rise and shine to a beautiful morning and enjoy a delicious breakfast buffet.
- Check out from hotel soon after
- At 10. am our driver and guide will be waiting you in hotel lobby. It is approximately 3.5 hours drive to Gabala from Baku, but our journey will take longer as we will stop in many sights on the way.
- Our first stop is Diri Baba Mausoleum in Maraza city. The building of the mausoleum is a wonderful example of Shirvan architectural school. Furthermore, there are still many legends connected to this place. For a long time, local people believed that a sacred person- called Diribaba was buried here and remained imperishable across the centuries.
- Basgal Village, also known as the “Kelaghayi Silk Center” where all the kelaghayi traditions have been completely restored. Thus, the most valuable kalagais, which contain 6 or 7 colours, are still produced in here.
- “Kelaghayi” museum of Basgal. Here, you can not only learn about the history and traditions of Kelaghayi, but to watch live the process of making kelaghayi and even participate in it.
- After leaving the Basgal, we will continue to Gabala. However, there is one more place on the way you must see- this is Lahij- a remote mountain village, comprising some 2,000 residents. The population here arrived during the Sassanid period. As a result, the village is one of the oldest continuously habited places in the world.
- Next, we will continue to Gabala and will arrive there within one hour. The first site we will visit will be Nohurgol, a beautiful lake located 3 km away from Gabala.
- After spending around 30 minutes in Nohur Lake, we will continue to our hotel for rest.
- Arrival in Gabala
- Check in and rest for the rest of your tour in Azerbaijan.
Day 5: Gabala- Shaki tour
- You will start a day with wonderful breakfast. At 09. am our driver and guide will be waiting you in hotel lobby.
- Continue your tour in Azerbaijan by visiting the Tufandag Mountain Resort- the highest elevated mountain resort in Azerbaijan to take a freshness of Caucasian Mountains. Tufandag is located 4 km away from the city of Gabala – the ancient capital of Caucasian Albania. From here, you can watch the incredible panorama of Caucasian mountains take incredible view for city. We will spend here around 2 hours
Then, we will continue your tour to Nij village.
- Nij – is the home of a special ethnic group among the Azerbaijani nationalities Udin, who are the descendants of the Caucasian Albanians. At present, their number is no more than 10,000 people, but they have managed to preserve their traditions, language and spiritual culture. Currently, the Alban Temple in the village of Nij is open to parishioners and tourists. In fact, this is one of the most ancient monuments of Christianity in Azerbaijan.
- After exploring the Gabala we will start our tour to Shaki city. It is one of the loveliest towns of Azerbaijan. Historic Sheki was originally higher up the valley around the site now occupied by Kish. During the XIX century, Nukha continued to flourish as a silk-weaving town and was a trading junction between caravan routes to Baku, Tbilisi and Derbent (Dagestan), with five working caravanserais at its peak. The name Nukha changed to Şhaki in 1960s.
- Visit to Kish village- Legend say that church belongs to 78 AD, but the researchers place it a few centuries later.
- In Shaki, we will visit Shaki Khans Palace, Shaki Old town and Karvansarai before arriving at our hotel in haki and check in.
- Overnight and rest for tomorrow
Day 6: Qax (Gakh)
- Breakfast in hotel
- After breakfast we will leave Sheki for the tour in surrounding areas.
- Our first stopover will be in the Qax region where we will visit village Qum and see ruins of 5th century church and 19th century mosque. In the center of Qax we will see Georgian Orthodox church. Then start way to Ilisu village. Visiting there 18th century Sumug Tower, ruins of 17th tower, ancient mosque, remains of the bridge dating from the 18th century and very beautiful waterfall.
- After finishing tour in Qax and Ilisu have a lunch in one of the local restaurants with panoramic views over surrounding mountains.
- After lunch drive back to Sheki and have free time.
Day 7: Shaki- Baku
- Breakfast in hotel
- Check out
- Departure to Baku
- Continue our Azerbaijan tour with the visit to Savalan winery for tasting the locally produced wines along with the tasty snacks. Also, we will visit the grape fields and production sites to get more understating about the Azerbaijan wine making traditions.
- Soon after our winery visit, we will leave for Baku.
- Arrival in Baku and check in
Day 8: Transfer& Departure
Wake up and start the day with a hearty breakfast buffet. Check out from the hotel soon after. Unfortunately, it is time to end your tour in Azerbaijan, here. Shortly, transfer to airport, now. Treasure the lovely memories gathered here with your fellow travellers as you depart to the airport for your return flight straightaway.
Looking for other options? Have you checked our other Azerbaijan tours?